A long time ago, someone had sent me some photos of an outdoor layout that they had visited. One of the interesting models that was in the pictures was this little telephone or watchman's shed. I thought it neat enough that I decided to build one of my own.
First, I need to make a few qualifications... I didn't have the same style doors & windows that the original model had. And, my Nickel Plate color scheme is kind of a light gray, dark gray with green roofing materials. While I really liked the blue & white color combination, it just wouldn't "fit" the family look that I'm trying to create by using a somewhat common paint scheme for my railroad buildings.
The original modeler had a REAL advantage in building his shed. I'm guessing that the building pictured was probably five... maybe six inches tall; mine has walls that are slightly over one inch. And the width? My walls are right at half an inch! Once the openings were cut for the door and windows, there wasn't much building left at all.
I used my typical building scheme for this one; I laid out the plans on my computer, printed them off onto sticky label paper and then put them on the wall material. A new trick that I picked up along the way is to cover the wall material with masking tape first then add the printed patterns. This way, it is MUCH easier to peal off the patterns when you are done. I learned that one the hard way too. Be careful to line up the edges exactly or else your siding may run up or downhill if it's not perfectly straight.
I cut the walls using the score & snap method where you score the plastic a few times along the cut line with a hobby knife then simply bend it and it snaps right on that line. I find this to be easier than cutting all of the way through the material. The window openings and door opening were cut out by first scribing the lines then finishing the cuts with a single-edged razor blade. This technique has worked well for me and has saved me many, many hours. And... each window fit correctly; I didn't have any finish sanding/filing to do for a good fit.
The roof was simply too small to cut out of plastic shingle stock that I have so I used some green scrapbook paper that looks pretty good. I'll devote a whole post to the roof next time as it was a bit of a challenge to make it look right.
The only thing remaining for me to do is to put some window glazing in the window openings and I'll be done. That should be easy enough as the shack is open on the bottom.
It took me a while but I finally did get this little guy finished. I've been putting this project off for months but now I'm glad I built it. But, those parts were a little too small to be cranking out a bunch of these so this one might be unique to my road.
Like I said, next time, we will take a look at the roof and how it came to be.