The school board on Monday voted 3-2, with board members John and Roger Rader dissenting, to put golf “on hold” because no one had submitted applications to coach the team by June 4.
Parents and golfers were at the meeting, but none spoke. There was confusion over whether they could speak and when.
“Is there an opportunity for questions here?” asked one audience member before the vote.
Board President Joe Mattoon said questions should have been asked earlier in the meeting during the public participation time.
“I’ve had some people in the community ask, ‘did we try and look for a coach as hard as we do for other sports,’” said John Rader.
“To give you an honest answer, I would say we advertised it, waited for applications to come in, and it didn’t go any further than that,” said High School Principal Mark Willeke.
After the meeting, Willeke said cutting golf was “simply financial.”
“We hope that students don’t have to be affected by the cuts, but we also have an obligation to the district,” he said.
Several parents were apparently disgruntled, despite not getting the chance to speak.
“It’s pretty sad 12 kids won’t get to play a sport,” said one parent as he was leaving the room.
“We were expecting them to speak, but I think they misunderstood their opportunities,” Willeke said.
Between 12 and 15 boys and girls played on the golf team last year, he said.
The team finished last in the Blanchard Valley Conference last year and has remained there over the past nine years. They finished sixth out of seven teams in 1999.
Assistant coaching positions for other sports have been cut as a result of budget constraints, Willeke said.
Separately, the board went into a five-minute, closed executive session to discuss personnel. No action was taken when board members returned.